AbsoluteWord.com homepage Products
Browse Palm OS and Pocket PC dictionary database, read descriptions, view screenshots and more Download
Download dictionaries, RoadLingua viewer, AW Maker Buy online
Purchase dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC Support
Customer support F.A.Q.
Frequently asked questions Partners
Partnership programs, internationalization, special offers
JPEG/GIF decompression library for Palm OS
- What is the library developed for?
- What are the most important features of the library?
- What devices are supported?
- What formats of jpeg file is supported?
- What formats of gif files are supported?
- Does the library have any limitations?
- Is the library optimized for new/old processor?
- How can I use it in my own application?
- Are there any sample or test applications?
- What modules are included?
- How can I buy the library?
- Any plans for further improvements?
- Contact info
- What is the library developed for? The library can decode any jpeg or gif files and convert them into color or BW bitmap for further usage. It supports both baseline and progressive jpegs. Animated and interlaced gifs are supported as well. The library uses the fastest algorithms for decoding, scaling and colorizing the image. The library can be used by any application for Palm OS 3.5 or later.
- Screenshots. Here come screenshots of decoded images on several devices
What are the most important features of library?
- Fast and quality decoding
- Fast JPEG scaling (1:8, 1:4, 1:2, 1:1)
- Optimized palette: 16bpp for 16bpp devices, Web palette for 256 color device, 4bpp for BW devices.
- GIF animation via one-function call
- Float scaling (bilinear/neighborhood) for bitmaps
- What devices are supported? Any device powered by Palm OS 3.5 or later. BW/Color, low/hi resolution - it does not matter. Actually the library can decode the image on any Palm OS version (2.x or later) but the system won’t allow user interface to run under any color depth other than 1bpp BW.
- What formats of jpeg files is supported? Any baseline JPEG or EXIF file.
- What formats of gif files are supported? Any GIF file.
- Does the library have any limitations? Memory requirements are minor. There are no restrictions for image resolution.
- Is the library optimized for new/old processor? Yes. For Motorola based devices the critical code has been written in pure assembly language to get the most of processor. For new ARM devices the code runs as processor native code through the engine of armlets.
How can I use it in my own application? The general approach is:
- Read encoded data into memory chunk (or get a pointer to a locked resource)
- Call decompression function, it will callback your function with parameter block having various info about jpeg image data (resolution, components, etc.). Basing on this info your callback functions should create and return bitmap pointer where the image data will be written, or returns NULL to stop the process. It also can set scale, color mode, etc. and can use any UI you want.
- The decompression starts. During the process a function you provided as a progress indicator function will get a callback to show the progress.
- Back from the decompression function you'll get a pointer to a bitmap (see above) or NULL if failure.
- Do whatever you want with the created bitmap and delete it afterwards.
- Read encoded data into memory chunk (or get a pointer to locked resource).
- Call the API function to get various information about GIF (resolutions, frame amount, etc.)
- Open gif file as a gifhandle, retrieve any frame as bitmap, close the file, do whatever you need with the bitmap
- ...or just call a single API function to have complete animation shown on the screen (interframe callbacks provided)
Are there any sample or test applications? You can download and try a demo to decode, show and scale jpeg/gif files from an external card. [ JpegSample.zip ]
This file includes complete sources for CW9 project so you can start to use the library for your testing right now.
What modules are included? The library can be shipped as follows:
or as source code for Metrowerks CW9 + VC project for DLL.
- *.lib - library
- *.h - headers
- *.bin - ARM code resource
- *.dll - file for Palm OS simulator
The price depends upon what components (baseline jpeg, progressive jpeg, gif) are required to be included.
- How can I buy the library? Please send your requests to: . Please describe how you are going to use the library.
- Warranties/support . The library is as it is. As usually - no our liability for any of your problems, etc. As a buyer you'll be supported for 30 days through email.
- Any plans for further improvements? The library is under permanent development and improvement.
Contact info. http://absoluteword.com or mail to
Featured Windows Mobile and Palm OS dictionaries:
must have app for Windows
create online surveys (webapp)
ssh client for Windows
server monitoring webapp